Quick Fixes For Renovation ProblemsPosted on 02/16/2015
1) Wallpaper adhesive that will not come off the wall: To get that stubborn layer of wallpaper adhesive off your wall, mix a solution of hot water and vinegar (80/20). Apply the solution with a wet sponge in a circular motion. Let it soak for about 15 minutes then gently scrape off the glue with a putty knife.
2) Rough wall textures: Rough wall textures make painting a nightmare. Fill in large holes and dents with spackle than lightly sand off uneven textures and bumps.
3) Wall paint ran through your painter's tape onto your ceiling or molding: To remove the paint, dip the corner of a clean rag or small paintbrush in paint remover. Be sure to only dampen and not soak. Then press on the unwanted paint spot for a few seconds than wipe away. Let dry and repeat if needed.
4) Drips of paint made it onto your carpet: Soak up the excess paint and try not to spread the stain. Then pour distilled vinegar onto a clean cloth and blot the stain. Repeat with different parts of the cloth until the paint is removed. After, wash the area with warm water and soap.
5) Dry wall dust that seems to be everywhere after renovating: No matter how many times you vacuumed, there still is some dry wall dust. To fix this issue, use a spray bottle to wet the area. Then use a wet rag to wipe off counters, walls, floors and anywhere else there might be dust.
6) Scratches in furniture and your floor: For light to medium wood, soak black tea until it is the desired color. Then use a cotton ball to dab the tea onto the scratch and then wipe away excess. For darker wood, mix instant coffee and water into a thick paste. Dab the paste onto the scratch then wipe away excess.
7) Paint that won't come off the inside of your sink after washing paintbrushes and rollers: If scrubbing with soap and hot water does not work, use paint thinner or nail polish remover. Be sure to wash it off after.
8) Air bubbles, runs and questionable specs on your freshly-painted walls: The cause is usually dirt or dust that was on the wall before you painted. To fix this issue is to scrape it off than repaint again. Only scrape the raised area. There is no need to repaint a large area again.
9) The old paint color of the room is still on door handles , hinges,light fixtures etc.: Instead of buying new hardware, soak them in a mixture of baking soda and water. This will lift off the old paint and make it shine like new.